LABOUR ACT (AMENDMENT) BILL 2016
A BILL FOR AN ACT TO AMEND THE LABOUR ACT TO MAKE FURTHER PROVISIONS FOR THE COMPULSORY REGISTRATION OF ALL FOREIGN EMPLOYERS OF LABOUR IN NIGERIA BY THE MINISTRY AND OTHER RELATED MATTERS.
SPONSORED BY HON. FEMI GBAJABIAMILA
BE IT ENACTED BY THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA AS FOLLOWS:
- The Labour Act (herein referred to as ‘the Principal Act’ is amended as set out hereunder.
- Section 69 of the Principal Act is amended by creating a new section 69 as follows:
Section 69. Registration of Foreign employers of labour.
(1). Subject to the provisions of section 68 this act, the Minister shall make regulations for the registration of foreign employers and such regulations made under this section shall:
(a) provide for the compulsory and free registration of all foreign employers of labour and the mode of registration shall be prescribed in the regulations
(b) prescribe the manner of, and conditions for registration and the person by whom and the manner in which the register is to be maintained.
(c ) prescribe the circumstances in which employers may be struck off the register.
(d) prohibit the employment of any person whether Nigeria nationals or nationals of any other country by unregistered employers.
(e) provide for the compulsory and routine inspection of employers to ensure compliance with the provisions of this act and such other laws protecting the welfare of Nigerian workers and have the reports of every inspection delivered to the Minister with 14 days of completion of the inspection.
(f) provide for compulsory and quarterly submission of report of activities and level of compliance to the Minister.
(g) contain such incidental or related provisions as the Minister may think necessary or expedient; and
(h) impose penalties for contraventions of the regulations not exceeding a fine of N500,000 or imprisonment for a term of two years or both.
(2) The provision in respect of registration (not penalties) shall not apply to a foreign owned factory already registered under the Factories Act provided that such factory shall comply with the provisions under this section.
- The existing sections 69 to 92 of the Principal Act is amended by renumbering the sections to read sections 70 to 93.
- This Act may be cited as the Labour Act (Amendment) Bill 2016
This Bill seeks to amend the Labour Act to make provisions for the registration of all foreign employers of Labour in Nigeria with a view to further protecting the interests of Nigerian workers.